Total Pageviews

Monday, January 24, 2011

A day to remember with my son.

We hitched up the trailer with the dune buggy on the back of our little Ford truck. We were going to the gravel pit north of The Pas, Manitoba about 10 miles for some fun & boy-time. We got there and found a place to unhook & disembark the dune buggy. Before we set out I made sure Greg's harness was secure & his helmet was fastened because this was going to be a fantastic day ripping around the gravel pit. Little did I know my faith was going to be tested.

We were doing some circles when I decided to swing the other way to the right but as we did we hit a pothole. The dune buggy slowly flipped over, as it did I instinctively reached out to my son with my right arm; but, made the fatal mistake of letting go of the steering wheel with my left arm and reached out to the ground. I  was totally shocked as I felt this bone-crunching pain immediately shoot up from my wrist. I never let any expletives out but immediately thanked God for the pain. I looked at it. It was not the usual way arms look but it looked like a broken pretzel. I knew if I went into shock there wouldn't be anyone around to help my son who was already hysterical. I reached over to him & told him everything was going to be alright. For the first time in my life I called for "help" and really meant it.  I was pinned with my left arm and couldn't get the dune buggy off its side. I undid his harness with my right, consoling him as I did. I prayed someone would come & as if out of nowhere 3 boys appeared. They just so happened to have seen the mishap. I praised God. They lifted the dune buggy's chassis off my wrist. I asked if anyone of them could drive a standard truck. No one knew how. I asked if they could unhitch the trailer which they quickly undid as I directed them. I tried holding my broken arm - which looked like a broken wing - in towards me while I took my helmet off. I felt like fainting but I knew if I did I wouldn't be waking up. I thanked the boys for their help & got into the truck because I knew if I had to wait for an ambulance it would be hours before they got there. I knew I  was not going to be able to drive all way so opted to make it to a friend's house I knew lived about a couple of miles. Those miles felt like a hundred as I put the standard into gear & opted for second gear because at least I could drive fast enough but slow enough if I passed out we wouldn't be hurt in another crash. Every little bump sent jolts of pain to my head. Good thing Greg still had his helmet on I thought. I was ashen white by the time we got to my friend's Joe. I rang his door-bell. He answered, told me any later & he would have been gone to work.

We left my boy with his daughter while he drove me to the hospital. Within minutes I was put on a Medi-Vac plane toward Winnipeg, Manitoba. I was never so grateful to God for all the people being there at the right time at the right place. However for me it was a test of my faith because not once did I swear or blame God for the situation. I praise Him more because less than 3 months later I was out of the cast.

Isaiah 35:4 "Say to those with anxious heart , "Take courage, fear not. Behold your God will come with a vengeance; the recompense of God will come. But He will save you."

No comments:

Post a Comment